Every year in the UK there are around 2.5 million residential sales. However, research carried out by Electrical Safety First found that only 37% of buyers had the electrics and gas services inspected before purchase. One in five believed that electrical and gas checks were included in the recommended home survey report and just under half were unaware that checks were recommended at all.

Over a third of home buyers then went on to discover electrical, gas or plumbing problems that they were not aware of before purchase - something that could easily be avoided by getting a registered engineer to inspect the services at the property and produce a report.

All inspections come with a FREE quotation for any remedial works required to bring the installation up to a satisfactory condition. All of our engineers are directly employed, CRB checked, first aid trained and fully insured.

Call today to speak to one of our friendly team.
01744 416330

Landlords, know your legal obligations

Section 3(2) of the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 (HSWA) makes provision for relevant health and safety legislation to apply to landlords to ensure a duty of care is shown to their tenants’ with regard to their health and safety. The general duties require under section 3(2) that “It shall be the duty of every self-employed person to conduct his undertaking in such a way as to ensure, so far as is reasonably practicable, that he and other persons (not being his employees) who may be affected thereby are not thereby exposed to risks to their health or safety.”. Landlords, under Section 53 of HSWA are regarded as being self-employed and tenants fall into the class of “other persons (not being his employees)”. If you rent out a property, you have legal responsibilities to ensure you conduct your undertaking in such a way that your tenant(s) are not exposed to health and safety risks.

While the HSE text covers a broad range of factors, it is upto landlords to ensure the property they let is safe to inhabit. Annual Gas Safe certificates are mandatory for all residential lettings, electrical inspections and legionella assessments are recommended to responsible landlords to ensure they comply with section 3(2) of the act. While these additional certificates are not mandatory to let a property this does not remove the responsibility of landlords to ensure those services are safe to use. For example, if a tenant turned on a light switch and got a nasty electrical shock then unless the landlord has proof the electrical installation has been inspected and deemed safe to use they could be liable for any civil or criminal claims brought by the tenant for personal injury. If the landlord produced an electrical certificate carried out by a registered engineer who stated the installation was safe to use then the liability would lie with that contractor.

Legionella Risk Assessment

Landlords are under a duty to ensure that the risk of exposure to tenants, residents and visitors by Legionella is properly assessed and controlled. A Legionella Risk Assessment is carried out to assess the risk of contracting Legionnaire’s disease from water within a property. We are trained to complete these assessments to a competent level. See case 357 by the HSE which clarifies landlords and letting agency responsibilities in respect to the risk proposed by legonellia

Services We Offer

  • Full NICEIC electrical inspection report. Satisfies all UK mortgage lenders, solicitors and letting agents. Don't get caught out by electricians using non certified self certificates. £150 INC VAT

    Gas Safe inspection of all internal pipework, appliances, flues and safety devices. Suitable for house purchases, sales and landlords annual checks. £70 INC VAT

    Inspection report bundle deal - NICEIC electrical inspection plus Gas Safe certificate normally costing £220 INC VAT. Bundle price when bought together - £199 INC VAT

    Electrical FAQs

    What is Fixed Wire Testing?
    Fixed Wire Testing is the report and inspection of electrical installation in a premises in regards to condition and safety. It is known as the Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR). It is designed to make sure that the electrical wiring is compliant with current regulations.
    Do I need a Fixed Wire Test, legally?
    If you are a landlord, business owner or allow public and or employees use the facilities of a building that contains and electrical installation, the HSE requires you to ensure the electrical installation is fit for purpose and has been inspected by a registered competent person. All fixed electrical wiring deteriorates with time, meaning that you need to regularly test your entire electrical distribution system to ensure its full safety and compliance, not only to stay within current regulations, but to keep your family, tenants, staff and visitors safe. All our engineers are NICEIC accredited, and make sure all work carried out complies with both the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 and the Electricity at Work Regulations 1989 as well as IEE Wiring Regulation BS 7671. The Electricity at Work Regulations 1989 state that any electrical equipment that has the potential to cause injury or harm must be maintained and kept in a safe condition.
    What if my test fails?

    Once the inspection is complete, we will pass on a full report with every item tested listed. If there is a fault or observation with a particular item, then it will be categorised as either a Code 1, Code 2, or a Code 3 or FI.

    C1 Failure is in need of immediate action/repair since there is a real danger present.

    C2 requires attention/repair in order to mark a cert as satisfactory.

    C3 is a suggested improvement.

    FI is further investigation required.

    With every report, we provide a full quotation covering all codes and observations. This enables customers to make an informed decision regarding what is and what isn’t required to get the certificate to a satisfactory outcome. All our pricing structures are transparent and listed on our website.

    Gas Safe inspections FAQs

    What is Gas Safe inspection?
    A Gas Safe report is a certificate which can only be completed by registered engineers. The certificate details the condition and safety of all the internal gas supply work, gas appliances, flues and safety devices installed in a domestic property.
    Do I need a Gas Safe certificate, legally?
    If you are a landlord, business owner or allow public and or employees use the facilities of a building that contains a gas installation, the HSE requires you by law to ensure the electrical installation is fit for purpose and has been inspected by a registered competent person. Most mortgage companies and solicitors require the gas installation in a property to be inspected by a purchase or sale can complete. If you've had a survey completed on the property you are buying or selling then it is likely the surveyor has recommended the gas and electrical installations to be inspected before the sale completes.
    What if my test fails?

    If your gas inspection fails then there could be several different outcomes depending on the reason for failure. We may need to issue a warning notice, turn off the appliance or cap the supply. Don't worry, if your test fails we will provide free advice and quotations for the remedial actions required.

    How do you check the appliances?

    Gas Safe inspections check all aspects of the gas installation throughout the property including any supply pipework aft of the meter, condition of flues, functionality of safety devices, burn rates and combustion seals.

    Common reasons for failures are - Gas leaks on pipework or joints, loose or corroded flues, emergency shut off devices not functioning properly and failed combustion seals passing deadly gasses into habitable rooms.

How do I book an inspection report?

Either complete the call back request form or contact one of our technical advisors on 01744 416330.

If you would prefer to contact us via email, our email address is info@pegservices.co.uk